Jordan is a significant market in the Middle East medical tourism industry. According to the World Bank, Jordan receives a large number of medical tourists.
In 2019 alone, more than 220,000 foreigners from Iraq, Sudan, Egypt, Palestine, Syria, and Canada visited Jordan for specialized therapy. Medical costs are comparatively lower in Jordan (approximately 25% less than American rates), which contributes immensely to the international recognition of Jordan as an ideal healthcare tourism destination. As a result, the country earned more than $1 billion from its medical tourism industry. Key factors that make Jordan an attractive destination is the well trained practitioners (A noteworthy proportion of Jordan’s medical staff are trained abroad, especially in the U.S.), competitive treatment prices, no waiting periods, high-quality medical services and Jordanian hospitals’ international accreditation.
Even though most of these medical services are provided in Amman, the Jordanian capital, the region has a comprehensive healthcare system. Civilians dedicate about 10 percent of the nation’s GDP to medical expenses, and more than 70 percent of citizens have insurance covers–the government plans to ensure the remaining 30 percent is insured soon. Jordan’s healthcare system is divided into private and public healthcare facilities. Public institutions are under the direct authority of the Ministry of Health (MoH), which also oversees operations in the private sector.
MoH controls more than 1200 healthcare facilities together with 27 major hospitals; this accounts for about 40% of Jordanian hospital beds. The Military’s Royal Medical Services, which operates 11 healthcare centers, accounts for 24 percent of the country’s bed spaces. The Jordan University Hospital and the private sector control 3 percent and 36 percent of all bed spaces, respectively.
Market entry requires a trifecta-strategy: identifying an appropriate partner, facilitating continuous support, and gaining a market understanding. For any product or market to become successful, the Jordanian context (with respect to regulations, competitors, standards, sales channels, and application) must be understood. This is where Ramana Medical Supplies comes in: our staff has held executive positions in this industry collectively for more than 50 years and have experience in successfully encountering most of the threats that new market entrants face. RMS has both the infrastructure and experience to cover cities–where demand is concentrated-and remote rural area, as well as neighboring markets like Iraq, The UAE, and Saudi Arabia.